[filmscanners] Re: JPEG2000 > Paul

>this one
> >is based on
> >> kakadu which is one of the best and cheapest j2k codecs
> >> available. There is another free PS plug-in one but I forgot the URL.
> >
> >I'll try it. I'd be happy to find something faster. (Where'd they get that
> >name? Sounds like bathroom humor.)
>
>kakadu is a famous national park in Australia. kakadu was written by a
>professor and his students from Australia. So they named it after the
>national park.

And it happens I have a photo taken in Kakadu right here! (the croc at the
bottom).
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/photo-an/photo-an.htm

Thanks for the info on this - I tried the bathroom humour national park
professor and his students version (thanks for the link) and it was
horrendously slow - over a minute to save a 28MB file.  But it did give 2:1
reduction lossless as you suggested, which is impressive in itself.  I
checked and it was indeed lossless - not a single pixel different.

I also checked pixel variations between JPEG and J2K for various
compressions, and found it hard to draw any conclusions - I wasn't bowled
over by the improvement of J2K over ordinary jpeg, and the speed difference
is astoundingly in favour of jpeg.  I was interested in all this because my
disks are finally full and I can't keep backing up onto the other disk, so
I have to save to CD. But it would take me a long time to resave all those
files using this plugin.  I will try the commercial versions and see if the
speed is good enough on my system.

Thanks for all the good info,

Julian

Julian
Canberra, Australia

Satellite maps of fire situation Canberra and Snowy Montains
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/cbfires/fires.htm