[filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

Hi Bob,

> By merging the two they claim to be able to extend the dynamic
> range of the image. Oops, I probably shouldn't have used the word
> 'dynamic';
> I'm bound to upset Austin!

Not at all, at least in this case...  Anyway, "upset" is not really what
happens, "awaken" is more like it.  It sounds to me as if their method would
do both, increase density range and dynamic range.

> So by running the raw
> file through
> Nikon Capture three times (with normal exposure, overexp, and
> underexp) one
> can layer the three images (without any of the possible registration
> problems in doing this with a scanner) and paint in the extra detail into
> the highlights and shadows of the normally exposed image. I dread to think
> what Austin is going to say about this, but it seems to work.

Boy, Bob...  Do you do this using a raw image file?  What does it do for
you, that you couldn't do with the raw image file, aside from "automate" the
process?  If you could elaborate more on some of the particulars about this,
I'd appreciate it.

Austin