----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Robinson" <jrobinso@pcug.org.au>

Only one thing missing for me - my only doubt -- digitals record a scene
brightness range that is meant to be suitable contrast for printing, in
other words, a range of 4 to 6 or 7 stops.  This means they throw away all
the info outside that range.  As we have discussed before, I often
photograph scenes with greater range than this on negative film and
reconstruct and manipulate to get sufficient contrast from that.  So I will
photograph a scene with 10 stops range, and later bring the shadows up or
the sky back so the whole image then only has 5 stops range - i.e. the
image has normal aesthetically pleasing contrast.

How do you do that with a digital, until they offer a "wide range"
setting?  Such wide range images would look ugly unless processed.