From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
To: <karlsch@earthlink.net>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 8:44 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Canned air...

For years now, most hardware and auto stores have carried a very
inexpensive 12 volt compressor used for filling your tires using your
car's cigarette lighter as a power source.  These things sell for as
little as $10 CAN with a pressure gauge!  I bought one at Walmart for $6
on special after Christmas.

They are a bit noisy, and they aren't designed for long periods of use
at a time as they heat up too much, but I was thinking all one would
need to do is attach one to a 12 volt DC transformer, with a switch (a
foot switch would be a good idea, as someone mentioned) and a hose
extension with a nozzle on the end, and you've got a very cheap air
compressor which claims to be able to work to something like 150 psi.
If you wanted more control over the air, buy a air nozzle gun (I paid
something like $5 for metal one with a push button trigger) so you could
give the film a "burst" of air.  You could even put the compressor into
some type of vented but noise damped box to keep the sound down (it
isn't any nosier than most cheap air compressors, and a lot quieter than
my large compressor).

Cost would be under $25 total.

Art