[filmscanners] RE: how to scan 'red' 'green' or 'blue' lights?

I have also noticed this phenomenon with images that contain certain reds.

In my geographical area, we have intensely red azalea blooms in the spring
that are very difficult to reproduce.

I am not sure if the problem is in the scan (I use the SS4000) or in the
transparency image itself. It seems that detail is lost in the mass of red
flowers, as though the red was overwhelming whatever weaker colors might be
present to give shape and contrast to the flowers. It's as though such red
objects lose shape and texture because the film--or the scan--registers the
red to the exclusion of the weaker colors within the red areas. Indeed, in
one image I have with this phenomenon, I see RGB values of 225-0-17. So it's
not that the red is "pegged" at 255.

Dan Margulis in his Professional Photoshop book shows examples of how
blending back in some of the weak colors can overcome this phenomenon.

So I don't think it's the redness of the red that creates this appearance,
but more that these red areas tend to lack the contrasting colors that give
dimension and shape.

As sharp and as fine as Velvia is, I find it tends to block up with these
reds, creating the illusion of detail loss in the reds.

I am not a color maven so forgive my tongue-tied prose.

Stan Schwartz

You wrote:

I'm not sure what fluorescent red means, as compared simply to red. What RGB
values do you get when you hover over the objectionable color in PS?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco