[filmscanners] RE: Film Choice

Marc writes ...

> Is there any particlar 35mm film that is really great for
> scaning. I just scanned some color negs of fuji reala and the
> colors weren't correct (kind of flat). I am using a Nikon LS-4000
> and vuescan.

  Are you choosing the film type to be 'Reala'?  I typically use 'GENERIC'
because it "appears" to deliver more accurate color.  This has always been a
mystery to me, especially given the quality Ed has put into Vuescan in every
other respect ... but, in the context of "practical use", using 'generic'
instead comes under the heading "because it works better".

  You might want to follow the instructions given you by Robert Logan in
another reply, except for to start with 'Reala' in one case ... save the
file ... and then start again with 'generic' as the film type, and save the
file (You may not need to reset the exposure, but you would need to
preview-again for correcting/locking the film base color).  Compare both in
Photoshop (or any other ICM savvy image editor).

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)