[filmscanners] RE: RGB values for NG?

> From: Ken Durling
>
> I know this will vary from monitor to monitor, but is there an "ideal"
> RGB set of values for neutral grey?   Is it just 128/128/128, that
> being the halfway point, more or less, from 0 to 255?  Sorry, I know
> this is a pretty basic question, but my mind went blank . . .

If you're using a Mac, or a color-managed application like Photoshop under
Windows, then it will depend upon the gamma of the color space that the
image is in. If you're using a non-color-managed application under windows,
the gamma is whatever you've calibrated your monitor to, typically 2.2.

The Windows standard gamma of 2.2 is used in many color spaces, including
Adobe RGB and sRGB. It means that the midscale gray is 0.5 to the 2.2 power,
or 22%. On the Mac, the standard is 1.8, which is 29% gray, and the Apple
RGB and ColorMatch RGB color spaces adhere to this. If you want a particular
level of gray, it's possible to figure out the numeric value given the
gamma, if you're handy with logarithms.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco