[filmscanners] Re: B & W - Tips required...

>Bob Geoghegan had a good reason for scanning in B & W... i've always
scanned
>in RGB... will try the B & W as an original scan and see if there's any
>improvement

As I noted in the end of my previous message, I would not scan the image as
grayscale since (1) if she is going to have them printed using an inkjet
printer they tend to do a better quality job using RBG since with the
dithering and all the image takes on a smoother character than with
grayscale where one gets more of the dot pattern effect, (2) many digital to
photgraphic hybrid printers in the traditional and digital photolabs - like
those of the LighJet and Chromira variety  - which print the digital file
using laser or LEDs to traditional photogrtaphic papers for wet processing
have requirements for 300 dpi RGB files not grayscale and they print to
color dye based photo paper not silver b&w photo papers, and (3) offest
press printers also tend to want their digital files in RGB so that when
they are making their plates for printing they can do the necessary
conversions to the sort of B&W or CYMK separations that they might need for
their equipment.  In short, an RBG file would furnish the flexibility that
might allow the file to be reproduced with minimum frustration and problems
as well as costs.  The woman just needs to tell the printer that she wants
the reproductions in grayscale black and white when she gets the file
printed.

I would not send her too many alternatives versions; because it will just
confuse matters and her ( and maybe the printers as well).  If she is going
to print in quantity and if she is going to have any typesetting on the
publicity print like her name, etc., then she will have to either get offset
prints or quantity direct digital to traditional photo in order to get a
good price; and the place where she gets the work done will have to work
with the file anyway to set the type and do the layout for the final
version.  Thus, I would give her the one good version of the file that
allows for the broadest of options available to the printer.