[filmscanners] Re: B & W - Tips required...

Dear Bob...

Thanks for the response... sorry for the delay in my replying... time diff
and then the morning after the night before :)

"Bob Shomler" wrote:

>>1/ Should i keep the files as RGB or convert to grayscale?

> Look at each channel R, B, G).  In my experience they will be identical;

Bob, not possible... there's bound to be differences in the channels...

>>2/ What dpi/ppi should i keep the files (8 x 10 inch prints)?

> 300 ppi (2400 by 3000 pixels) if you don't know where they will be
> printed and have specific info for that service.  Some services, for a
> quantity of B&W prints, might make a negative from the digital file.

That's a good point... hadn't thought of that.... not possible to get the
info as you suggested but maybe just give her a set of files at the original
undownsampled resolution, whatever that happens to be... it's working out to
about 470 ppi...

>>3/ Would it be better (cost effective and quality) for her to take them to
>service bureau or print them out herself on the proper paper? She's not so
>computer savvy but has contacts who could probably help her.

> B&W grayscale is not the strong suit of most desktop computer printers.

Will suggest that to her then.....

Thanks for the response...

Cheers...

SD
>Hi List...
>
>Have done some B & W (Tri-X) portraits of a friend'd daughter which she
>needs to send out to agents... she's into theatre. She lives in NY and is
>here (India) on a holiday. I'll be scanning the negs - plan to scan in RGB
>at 14 (16) bit depth on a Nikon 4000ED - and touching up the pix. Putting
>them on a CD and couriering them to her in the US. She'll then get the
>prints made there. That's the background... the questions are as follows:
>
>1/ Should i keep the files as RGB or convert to grayscale?
>2/ What dpi/ppi should i keep the files (8 x 10 inch prints)?
>3/ Would it be better (cost effective and quality) for her to take them to
>service bureau or print them out herself on the proper paper? She's not so
>computer savvy but has contacts who could probably help her.
>4/ Any other suggestions are welcome :)

or body

---