[filmscanners] Re: B & W - Tips required...

Simon  --  You encourage people to go right ahead and buy the Cone product.
You tell them not to worry about the clogging.  You say, "if you get clogs
you can get rid of them too!"

In my case, as it was in my friend's case, "getting rid of the clogs"
requires an expenditure of $250 on nozzle replacement just to get the point
to where we might try again.  This step follows all the time and all the
effort expended in NOT "getting rid of the clogs".

Further, as the Cone people themselves have told me and my friend, a given
Epson printer simply may not work with the Cone inks no matter how many
times the hapless purchaser tries to "get rid of the clogs".  (I gather that
1200's might present one kind of insuperable problem, 3000's another.)

Even if it is possible, with a given printer, to use the Cone inks
successfully, all the different procedures Cone provides on its web site for
unclogging printer nozzles must be a pretty good indication that "getting
rid of the clogs" requires a lot of time and effort not otherwise necessary.

I did not say people should absolutely not buy the Cone product.  What I
said was CAVEAT EMPTOR.  You and Austin are lucky, and I'm happy for you.  I
have to assume that lucky photogs like yourselves are in the majority, or
Cone could not remain in business.  Others, like my friend and me, appear to
be losers in a crap shoot where the odds of success are not good enough.

The inks should work in any well-maintained Epson printer, period.  Until
that is the case, potential purchasers should know what they might face in
trying to use them.  --  Bard