[filmscanners] Re: B & W - Tips required...

Austin  --  I am happy for you in your success with Cone inks.  My friend
who terminally clogged his 1200 told Cone that he had had to spend $200 to
replace the nozzles and another $50 for the inks the service people used to
test the machine.  Cone's response was to offer to give him a free set of
cleaning inks.  Customer service-wise, that's nice, but not nice enough,
especially when you consider the tremendous amount of time he spent getting
to the point where he had to give up and spend the $250.

As I said, working with Cone inks seems similar to playing Russian Roulette.
(Assuming the gun used in that game has six chambers to hold six bullets and
you put only one bullet in the gun, a given player has a 1-in-6 chance of
blowing his head off; using the analogy with Cone, my friend and I have been
unlucky enough to be the ones who pull the trigger when the loaded chamber
is in firing position, and no amount of friendly "customer support" from
Cone--which in fact we received--can compensate for the result).

As the Cone people told me, the particular printer one has, in any of the
models, may doom him or her to failure.  They told my friend that Epson
1200's are particularly problematic.  If that is so, why do they sell ink
sets for the 1200?

My message to potential users of the product continues to be CAVEAT EMPTOR.

I tried visiting the www.paulrourke.com web site, but my ISP gave me the
"specified server could not be found" message.  Is there more I need to
know?  --  Bard