[filmscanners] Re: B & W - Tips required...

Austin and all --

For those of you considering printing B&W images using Cone Piezography Inks
(Inkjetmall.com) CAVEAT EMPTOR.  Their pigmented inks, while theoretically
more "archival" than others on the market, can cause horrendous clogging
problems in Epson Inkjet printers.

>From what I've heard, and in my own experience, at best the user will spend
a great deal of extra time with tedious and elaborate procedures to keep the
ink flowing through the nozzles.  In the worst case scenario, a 3000 or 1200
simply will not function with the inks.  In my case (and in the case of two
other photogs I know of) the clogging became so bad that I will have to pay
over $200 to replace the printing heads in my 1200 if I want to use it
again.

Cone does not mention all this in its advertisements.  Their web site,
however, is replete with instructions on dealing with the clogging problems,
and if you talk their tech people eventually you will reach the conclusion
that uneven quality in certain Epson printer models makes a decision to use
the inks similar to the decision one makes before playing Russian Roulette.

At this point I'm using an Epson 2200 with Epson inks to print b&w images
and have nary a problem.  My only consideration is that with their
(partially) pigmented inks, as with those of other manufacturers, it is
still seems difficult if not impossible to achieve the kind of deep blacks
we are used to seeing in traditional b&w photographic prints.

I'm eager to see what I find on the paulrourke.com web site.

--  Bard