[filmscanners] Re: Film types and scanning

This must be a special week, we have BOTH Rob AND shAf back!!!  (My
apologies if I have missed a few thousand posts by either of you as I am an
intermittent reader now).

Hope you enjoyed yr time in Japan Rob.  I would be interested in the name
of the low contrast slide film (or any low contrast slide film that anyone
knows of) if you discover it.

About grain, I suspect that it happens for aliasing reasons that most neg
film just works particularly badly with our 2700dpi scanners, probably
Austin has a 4000dpi scanner, I don't remember what he uses. I found that
the absolute worst film in the world for scanning on my older-style Nikon
is Konica neg film, although it prints beautifully.  It scanned so grainy
as to be unusable for me, but no sign of grain (no worse than any other
film) on optically enlarged, non-scanned prints.

Cheers,

Julian