[filmscanners] Re: Multipass scanning

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Multipass scanning
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:56:05 +1100

"Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com> wrote:
> I am curious if anyone has found that multi-pass produces
> "fuzzier" images or not?  Obviously, it must...but whether
> it's significant/noticeable is another issue.

The recent tests I did with the LS30 didn't show 4 pass results to be
significantly fuzzier results IMO.  But I didn't seem to gain much
information from the extra passes so I haven't persisted with them.  AFAIK
the quality of alignment of multipasses depends a lot on the way the CCD and
film interact - whether the film moves, or the CCD moves, and how accurate
the mechanism is.  One VERY important thing - focus on the preview not the
main scan, or each pass will have a different focus setting and the end
result will be hopelessly fuzzy.  This says a lot about the accuracy of the
autofocus system IMO. :)

Rob