[filmscanners] a bit OT, but still important...

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] a bit OT, but still important...
  • From: "HPA" <tom@historicphotoarchive.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:01:26 -0800

What I like about my 4x5 is lens and film selection.  Of course I have a set
of Symmars for AD type work, plus other Nikkor and Schneider lenses.  But
there are many "classic" lenses that treat subjects with substantially
different optical interpretation and can be used to advantage.  I think I
learned a lot when I first looked at Glen Rudolph's beautiful 30x40 prints
shot with Protar IVs.  I have a set of those now, but my own favorites are
the early Dagors.  The uncoated ones are outstanding choices for particular
subjects and film choices.  A good example of a frequently used lens (for
me) is a 8.25" Goertz Double Anastigmat manufactured shortly before 1900.  I
have had the cells mounted in a new shutter with flash sync.  I have behind
the lens flash metering on my 4x5.  the result is excellent.

One concept that is frequently discussed on photography lists but I have not
seen mentioned on filmscanners is bokeh, which is the Japanese term for out
of focus or blurred objects.  Lenses treat the out of focus area
differently, depending on the formulation and other factors.  There is good
bokeh and bad bokeh, and the difference is the appearance of the unsharp
areas of the film, as well as specular reflections and shadow flare. This is
one reason that creative photographers appreciate the freedom of choice to
experiment with film, lenses, etc., and a decent view camera will be a cash
register to them for many years to come.

I am sure that someone can figure out how to duplicate almost anything in
photoshop, but there are so many situations where the photographer is not
the person doing the scanning for publication.  In those cases, it pays to
shoot the chrome the way you want it to look.

--
Thomas Robinson
441 NE Jarrett St.