[filmscanners] RE: My best scanner/film combinations

> > ...  Grain is a matter of resolution, not a
> > matter of tonality.
>
>   Try this mind exercise.  Assume 2 films ... both the same speed and
> resolution, and the grain is equivelent ... but one is a chrome which puts
> 10 f-stops within a film density equivelent to 3.0.  The other is
> a negative
> which puts the same 10 f-stops in a density of 2.5.  To achive the same
> tonal range by scanning, you need to ask the scan of the negative to
> increase the contrast ... which will enhance the grain.

Hi shAf,

Certainly not if the scanner can't resolve the grain...  The increase in
density range is handled by exposure time.  Nothing in the CCD-A/D path
changes...just the time the light shines.  The light type the scanner uses
also has a huge effect on grain, scratches etc.

Also, the grain (dye) structure of negative film and chrome film is
different.  Do you (or anyone) have an example that shows what you say to be
true?  I have not seen this with my scanner on the films I've scanned, and
I've scanned a few thousand chromes and tens of thousand negatives...

Austin