[filmscanners] Re: Advice needed on Photoshop

"Mike Bloor" wrote:

> Is there some way I can use Photoshop to lighten the slide progressively
> from say 0% at the bottom to 50% at the top ?

Mike,

Why don't you try the adobe newsgroups.... very helpful.... online it's thru
support or www.adobeforums.com You can also access them thru a newsreader at
the same address. Only thing is you need to register in the forums (free) to
be able to post.

Anyway, here's a simple way to do it.... duplicate the layer
(bakground/pic). Chage blend mode to screen.... the whole image becomes
lighter.... (you an also adjust the opacity of the 'Screen' layer to fine
tune the degree of lightness)...  now click on the Add Layer Mask icon...
run a gradient in the layer mask.... you need to have it from
White/Transparent to Black. Run it downwards, holding the SHIFT key. The top
will be lighter and the bottom will go darker (returning to the original
look). To fine tune you need to adjust where the black and transparent blend
into each other in the Gradient Tool and/or starting and ending points of
the Gradient stroke.

Hope that's of help....

Cheers,

SD