[filmscanners] Multipass scans

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Multipass scans
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:33:57 +1100

Hi Folks!
Having got back from almost a year overseas, I discovered my LS30's
focussing mechanism had jammed up from lack of use - so now, AUD$430 later
it's fixed and I am able to scan again.  I am trying to get used to the
current incarnation of vuescan!  Previously I was able to adapt to the new
features over time but now there's a whole bunch of new things at once.
Anyway, it's still producing great results - and it works, which is more
than I can say for Nikonscan which doesn't see the scanner in Win2K in spite
of the OS detecting it and installing it.
Anyhow I was wondering whether anyone has seen major benefits from multiple
pass scanning on the LS30?  I have just tried some 4 pass scans on some
slides from Japan and there doesn't seem to be any sigificant difference.  I
suspect that the dense parts of Fuji RDPIII (Provia 100F) are simply too
dense for the LED light source of the Nikon.

Any Nikon owners care to comment?

Rob