[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Scan unable to find active devices...

Sam,

If you were using XP (as I now do), you would simply restore the computer to
the state that it was in before you installed the camera software - a few
clicks and a few minutes and problem solved. Although it may not help you at
the moment, it has helped me dozens of times when I have installed dodgy
software or drivers.  My advice would be to upgrade to XP and say goodbye to
all these problems. Until yesterday I had Win 98 on a separate partition for
running dodgy software, but eventually got fed up with reinstalling Win98
every time something went really wrong, so I have now installed an extra
copy of XP on the other partition for running the same dodgy software and
can recover from problems without any hassle using System Restore. Best
thing since ..... sliced bread?

If you upgrade to XP Pro, you also get Automated System Recovery, which
allows you to take a backup of your system partition and details of all
other partitions. Then if everything really does go haywire, you simply use
your WinXP bootable CD and the backup files to restore everything to it's
previous state. I've had to do that once or twice when installing really
dodgy programs (like early XP versions of EasyCD Creator or Norton
Utilities). Most software companies are now up-to-date on XP versions of
drivers, and from what I read it it far more stable than the latest Apple
offerings.

Bob Frost.

Bob Frost.