[filmscanners] Re: 12 vs 16-bit A/D conversion. Was: WinXP and Dimage Scan Dual II and more

> I guess theoretically a 12-bit
> conversion will yield 1024 distinct values, while a 16-bit conversion
> will give 16k values.
12 bit = 4096 (for one channel)
16 bit = 65536 (for one channel)

> But I'd say the Scan Dual III's ccd's have trouble
> reliably measuring 4 good bits of data in dark, shadow areas, and in any
> other "photographic image", the 13th-16th bits have the same value that
> loose change has to Bill Gates.

See http://www.scantips.com/basics14.html "Dynamic range, 24 bit or 36 bit
color depth in scanners" for an explanation about bit depth and dynamic
range.

With kind regards,
Henk de Jong
The Netherlands