From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of snsok@cox.net
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 8:58 PM
To: bkubiak@attbi.com
Subject: [filmscanners] Suggestions for scanning 4x5 transparencies

A friend works mostly in 4x5 color transparencies. He's interested in
acquiring a scanner capable of producing a decent image file for
printing up
to 13in x19in on a new Epson 2200 printer.

He had a 4x5 scanned on a flatbed at a local photo store. It looks like
the
image was scanned at 1600 ppi. The Epson printer was able to produce a
very
nice sharp image from it after adding some edge sharpening. The grays in
the
image (lots of tree trunks) didn't pop out very well compared to an
optical
enlargement done on Cibachrome.

Can someone lend some advice about particular flatbed scanners that
might be
adequate for this situation. He would prefer not to spend as much as
needed
for something like the Polaroid SS120. The Epson 2450 appears to have
the
right stuff.

Thanks,

Stan Schwartz