[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Exactly the same thing was said of 32 bits, and 16 bits, and even 8 bits no
> doubt.  Engineers _always_ get it wrong, and they _always_ refuse to believe
> that they should build in more capacity for the future.

I doubt that, what was probably said was, "ok, we can build an
X bit design, but how can we stretch it for the current technology?"
Having worked in hardware engineering since the introduction
of the 8088/86 architecture, I am much more amazed that we are
still tied to its oddities. Its being stretched fairly thin.

The problems of running out of physical memory are little to
do with the limit of 2/4 Gig. Its far more to do with the
MicroBloat OS and associated programs. Photoshop is a good
example of something that comes from an atrocious memory
model, and fails to ditch it for a better one - OSX should
drag it into reality. We need 64 bit - not for better MM
w.r.t programs, but addressability for massive file systems.

Its arseholes like us who continue to accept bloat and
poor coding - throwing more money and hardware at what we
think is our problem. Its the "Software Engineers" fault,
although I dread to think we can classify all programmers
as SE's. You might note that Im a Unix/Linux user, who
suffers far less than MSoft people.

(As a non Mac user, whats the situation like regarding
applications on OSX anyway?)

AND! after watching the "Greatest Briton" program which looked
at the work of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, I cannot believe you
are referring to Engineers in such a way :) I regularly travel
through his 1st tunnel (Wapping 1839), which has stood the test
of being built for foot, and now carries tube trains. He was one
hell of a man - and one staggering Engineer - gets my vote.

bert
--
Linux - reaches the parts that other beers fail to reach.