[filmscanners] RE: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

>You're joking? I think M$ are trying to make big money to such an
>extent that they are seriously harming their long-term future

I doubt that this is the case despite how it might appear.  At present, I do
not know for sure and am trying to research the topic; but I have some
reservations about Anthony's statement that Windows XP Home Edition is
crippled in the way he suggests as compared to the Pro Edition.  If he is
correct and it is a matter of some internal switch, I would be inclinded to
agree that this is a bit of greed and consumer be damned on the part of
Microsoft whichmay come back to bite it; however, if Amthony is not correct,
then your conclusion is unsupported.

>his has nothing to do with the "number of bits in the architecture",
>the 32-bit 68040 allowed 64-bit addresses, for example (only 40 bits
>in hardware, but the extensibility was there).

I am well over my head here; but for the sake of clarity with respect to my
comments, and not anyone else's, when I used the term "32-bit architicture"
I really was not referring to it literally with a focus on the 32-bit
element but more figuratively as a general architchture structure that would
impose its own paramentric limits which is widely used in off the shelf
systems.

>PowerMacs have had 64-bit address registers from the beginning, so no
>practical limits there.

But the architecture of the PowerMacs while different from the other
architecture does establish parametric boundaries of its own just different
from those of a different architecture; am I not correct?  You are not
saying that the 64-bit address register architecture have no theoretical or
practical which would consitute a wall against which one would eventually
run up against, are you?

>From the discussion, I take it that the limits of the 32-bit architechture
that Anthony is speaking of are not the first order preferences that he
desires as a practical limit but are significantly greater even if that
greater limit is not as efficiently achieved.  In otherwords, you can access
more than 4 GB of RAM with the 32-bit architecture, practically speaking,
but not as efficiently or effectively as you can access up to 4 GB of RAM.
Whereas, the 64-bit architecture permits one to more effectively and
effiicently access more than 4GB practically speaking; but at some point one
will again run into a wall where greater access may be achieved but at a
price of efficiency and effectiveness until the theroetical limit is hit.

I raise this not to argue but to obtain some clarification and information
about things I am not all that familiar with  other than global generalized
terms.

>I was surprised myself when I got this monitor how precise colour
>reproduction can be on a TFT, and it's not that much dependant on view
>angle. I always use it in sRGB mode, which seems to be exactly what it
>says.

I am not going to engage in any prejudgement of equipment that I have not
seen or experienced.  You may well be right.  I was just noting that in my
experience, I found certain things to be limiting flaws that I saw as
unacceptible for graphic uses.  However, on the matter of sRGB, I am
inclined to agree with Anthony that this is the one-size fits all standard
and not the most optimium standard possible and not one I would be using
either for my Photoshop working space, my monitor, or output device.  For
now, I have geared everything around Adobe RGB 98 which for the present
seems to be the best compromise for my purposes and uses.