[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

David writes:

> I like the idea of LCD's being less painful on
> the eyes (on long work sessions), but I hear
> that they still cannot be taken seriously as
> far as colour accuracy and profiling go's. Is
> this still the case ?

Flat-panel displays are to monitors exactly what digital cameras are to
photography: Getting the same quality as the old stuff costs ten times more,
but you can come pretty close, and if convenience is important they have a
great advantage.

Flat panels don't wear out (almost) and are very light and compact.  But
getting one that can compare to a CRT for accuracy requires a king's ransom.
Sounds a lot like the situation for high-end digital SLRs, doesn't it?

The analog interface between the physical world and a digital IT environment
is always the weakest link.  Unfortunately, it cannot be eliminated.