[filmscanners] Re: No more Kodak CD-R's

On 10/18/02 4:45 PM, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com> wrote:

> Julian writes:
>
>> Think about it - one incorrect bit can cause
>> a multimegabyte file to be unusable.
>
> That is almost never the case.

If the bad bit is in an in an executable, it can certainly wreak a lot of
havoc.  Been there, seen that.

We take it for granted that our computer data will be written perfectly, but
it is quite remarkable when we think about how many bits are shuffled around
when in file copies, installs, backups, restores, etc.  There are specs for
the uncorrected error rates in RAM and disk operations.  I don't recall the
numbers, but they are *very* small.  My point in the earlier message was
that the uncorrected error rates for digitized audio and video streams can
be considerably larger than what we can tolerate for computer data.

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>