[filmscanners] Cannon scanning sofware when moving from 98SE to ME

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Cannon scanning sofware when moving from 98SE to ME
  • From: "Bryan Lyles" <jbl2403@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:16:46 -0700

A month or so ago I upgraded from Windows 98SE to ME in order to get better
IEEE 1394 (Firewire) support.  My Cannon FS 2710 stopped working following
the upgrade:  the scanner is simply not found, either by the Cannon
software or by Viewscan.  The SCSI card is visible to Windows and the
scanner resets when the computer is reset.  When I contacted Cannon about
this I received the following reply:

"The FS 2700 / FS 2710 were released before the creation of Windows ME.
Windows ME does not include an ASPI layer, which is required by all
Canon SCSI scanners (except the FS 4000 US) in order to communicate with
the scanners.  Canon USA has discovered through empirical testing that
CanoCraft FS v3.6.4 works properly under Windows ME only when an ASPI
layer is present.  Since Canon USA is confident that this method works,
we have been advised that we can recommend that our customers download
and install ASPI32.EXE. This file can be found at ADAPTEC.COM. Our
primary goal is to provide our customers with a working solution for
satisfactory operation of our film scanners under Windows ME.You may be
prompted with a statement saying not to use this file with Windows ME.
Regrettably, the scanner will not function in Windows ME without the
file."

I installed this file but things still don't work.  Does anyone out there
have a fix?

Bryan