[filmscanners] Re: OT: RE: Note to pre-1999 VueSmart purchasers of VueScan

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: OT: RE: Note to pre-1999 VueSmart purchasers of VueScan
  • From: "" <david_bookbinder@sprynet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:54:01 -0400

Given the amount of negative feeling that this decision seems
to have generated, perhaps it would have been wiser for Ed to
do as Mike Chaney recently did when some of the serial numbers
from early users stopped working on subsequent upgrades, and
just reissue new serial numbers to those who wanted them. Really,
how many new upgrades from ViewSmart is he likely to get to make
it worth pissing off the people who believed in the product enough
to buy it when it first came out? Whether they purchased unlimited
upgrades at the time or not, they've been getting them for years.
When Norton Utilities started charging for updates to their virus
definitions, after supplying them free for a couple of years,
I switched to McAfee.  Switching a process in mid-stream, even
if for perfectly legitimate business reasons, still has a "bait
and switch" feel to it that I, personally, find irritating enough,
usually, to make a switch myself.

- David