[filmscanners] CD RW Problem

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] CD RW Problem
  • From: "Mike Brown" <mike.brown@mindblown.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:08:27 +0100

John

I wonder what speed your CD burner is?

I started having really odd problems like yours about a year ago. I threw
away a few CD-RW disks, including some Memorex ones, because they seemed
prone to flaky operation. It's possible there was a bad batch of disks but
when I got a new CD burner in the office I had a lightbulb moment.

It seems there are now two, partly incompatible, standards for CD-RW disks.
If you look at the Compact Disc logo you'll see newer disks say "high speed"
underneath. These disks are meant for new high speed drives and are
incompatible with older, slower drives for burning (you can read them OK but
not burn them reliably).

The trouble is the industry went through an interim phase producing
"multi-speed" disks which don't really work in slower drives (my drive is
only 2x - somehow buying cameras, scanners & printers seems a higher
priority than a new CD burner).

Solution? I managed to find a dealer with some 2x disks in stock - these
work fine. I also noticed that TDK now do two different disks - one for slow
drives and one for higher speed. I've only tried one of the TDK disks so far
but it did seem to work OK. I need to do more extensive testing before
trusting images though! I have to say I prefer CD-R for longer term storage,
although I've got an audio CD-R which no longer wants to play.....

Good luck

Mike Brown