[filmscanners] Re: Note to pre-1999 VueSmart purchasers of VueScan

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Note to pre-1999 VueSmart purchasers of VueScan
  • From: "Tony Sleep" <TonySleep@halftone.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:19 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:38:55 -0400  Austin Franklin (austin@darkroom.com)
wrote:

> Was "Photosmart" Ed's product, and is ViewScan a "follow on" product to
> "Photosmart", in that it basically was the same product, just a newer
> version...and that support for Photosmart was discontinued when ViewsScan
> showed up?

Yes, Photosmart was Ed's first attempt, and it has the same relation to
present day VS as the Ford Model T does to a Lexus. It only worked with the
HP Photosmart, and had a UI like badly drawn log tables. VS has become an
entirely different program.

Anyhow, look at what Adobe charge for each and every version update to PS!
I'm still on v6, but it has at least one of the charmingly antique (and
nasty) bugs of v5, still unfixed - the resize gotcha that slightly changes
aspect ratio if you resize height before changing DPI. I'd pay $40 just to
get rid of that, having been caught by it. At least Ed has the grace to
fix, and the imagination to innovate, where his bugs are concerned ;-)

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk