[filmscanners] Re: Dynamic range

Julian

This sounds like an amazingly lucid explanation. Thanks for clarifying that.

I know I've looked at a lot of audio references and have yet to see a
"density range" specification within them. Electrical components just don't
seem to have density ranges, they have dynamic ranges, which is a
description of the range of power levels they can reproduce cleanly. Things
that block or reflect light have density ranges, and a scanner's DyR is a
quantification of the density range it can READ, but electronics in and of
themselves just don't have density ranges.

Is it fair to say that any item that LITERALLY has a density range can not
LITERALLY have a dynamic range, and vice versa? I'd think so! I'd think an
item could have a density range and a resolution, or a dynamic range and a
resolution, but it can't have a dynamic range and a density range and a
resolution...

Todd