[filmscanners] RE: Dynamic range/ Roy's first post to the max-noise list, LONG

I thought to post this yesterday, but decided not to because much of it is
redundant to what has been discussed here lately, and it is long. However,
I've decided to post it now because Roy cites some DyR definitions from
audio that I think will help us move away from the fixation of bits that
seems to inexorably dominate when discussing scanners, even though we all
agree they are only a function of the digitization of a DyR.

(I find it fascinating how much we all agree on this then find a way to
discuss it again and again as though each time it were it were fresh and
illuminating. I'm convinced that NOT discussing bits is the key to moving
this conversation forward).

One last thing, we are all getting frustrated by the redundancy, but I'm not
convinced it's time to give up just yet. So, I'd like to advocate that those
of us who do choose to continue, try to keep it cool and cordial. If anyone
finds Roy's tone provocative at any point please remember this was written
in another place and time.

This was Roy's first post to the max-noise list: