[filmscanners] Re: Printer left on or off?

Hmmm...

I can only tell you my experience.  My older Epson inkjet printers
seemed to go through a cleaning cycle every so often even if I (usually
accidentally) left them on.  The newer ones seem to stay silent, but
upon being reactivated, go through a rather lengthy cleaning cycle,
which seems very similar to that which occurs when I just turn them on
after several days of inactivity.

They seem to have abbreviated cleaning cycles when turned on after
shorter periods or inactivity.

On my older ones, they seemed to not go through the full "capping" of
the heads unless they were shut down completely. The newer ones seem to
go into a fairly thorough shut down after a few minutes of inactivity.

My sense is that you are saving very little, if any ink by keeping the
printer on all the time.  Then again shutting it off numerous times a
day may waste some ink.

I suspect that leaving the printer on does use up more electricity and
seems to generate more heat, which may accelerate the head drying.  As
to if the components are otherwise more taxed or less as a result of
fewer on-off cycles, I can't answer.

Art