[filmscanners] RE: SS4000 fixes to improve quality--dust removal.

Tom,

I popped the top of my SS4000 (about 3 years old now, I guess) and was also
dismayed to see a very fine layer of dust on the mirror. Not to sound dense,
but I presume the mirror under discussion is what I am seeing in the
rectangular slot that is exposed as the open area of the slide
holder/carriage passes under the cold light.

I tried a small computer battery-operated vacuum but that did virtually
nothing to remove the dust. I very cautiously used a bit of Dust-Off,
avoiding a hard blast for the same reasons (I presume) you shouldn't use it
on a camera mirror. That dislodged some dust but I can still see plenty.

I presume the CCD (is that what it uses?) is mounted in such a way that its
photosensitive surface is vertically oriented and faces the back end of the
scanner. I guess if that's the case, it would not accumulate as much dust as
if it were horizontal.

What I don't understand is how much dust is a tolerable amount on the
mirror. Also, when the machine is idle, what position does the mirror
assume" Does it go vertical?

I have kept an inverted shoebox (with cutouts to accomodate the cables) over
the scanner quite faithfully. This is disappointing.

Stan