[filmscanners] Re: Topic: "Halo" Effect

I haven't worked with anti-halation films myself, but back when I ran a
color lab we'd occasional get some which we had to watch for (it was
mainly respooled motion picture film, and we used to give the
photographers who brought in bulk spooled film the 3rd degree before
we'd process).  Unfortunately, occasionally this film would still sneak
in. It had an anti-halation coating which was not soluble in photo
chemicals, but did, none the less, come off at color chemical processing
temperatures, making an absolute mess of the chemistry, leaving strands
of black glop that would adhere to other films and the processing
machinery, so we would have to tear down the whole system and scrub it
clean, and then replace the chemistry.  It was a very costly and time
consuming ordeal, and it also sometimes required we rewash some other
clients films that happened to be in the tanks at the time this occurred
to get the residue off.  It was NOT a happy day in the lab when this
would occur.

Back then, apparently, the proper process for this film was that it was
wet down and then the anti-halation layer was buffed off the film
mechanically, then the film was rinsed and only after that it was put
through standard development, to protect the other film and chemistry.
The cine labs that typically processed this film were of course set up
thusly.  We weren't.

Certainly possible newer films use a fully soluble coating which comes
off in the chemistry with little or no side effects to the other films
and equipment.  I left the color lab in the early 1980's.

Art