[filmscanners] RE: Scanning with too much resolution? (was:PSsharpening...)

But the point of the caption is that an image that is scanned at higher
resolution may look softer than one scanned at lower resolution. The upper
one clearly looks softer, and it is the upper one that he says was scanned
at three times the resolution, yet it is also the upper one that has pixels
that are twice as big (in each dimension). If we swap the images, then what
he says is softer looking is actually sharper looking, and on top of that we
still only have a 2:1 resolution ratio, not a 3:1 ratio as claimed.

My guess is that part of the problem is that the images in the PDF file are
artificially rendered at some lower resolution, while the originals that
were used to print the paper book have much higher resolution, so we can't
really tell what's up from the PDF.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco