[filmscanners] Re: dpi - formerly PS sharpening

Laurie,

I don't want to get into an endless argument over niceties of linguistics
either, but I still maintain that there is a real difference between the
'things' that define the image size - call them dots, pixels or samples -
and the drops of ink that an Epson printer squirts onto the paper which have
nothing to do with image size.

If 'dpi' is used for everything, then when I send an image with 256 dpi to
my printer, the printer converts it to 720 dpi in the driver and then prints
it at 2880 dpi in one direction and 1440 dpi in the other (using a most
recent printer as the example). Does this make sense to you?

Is it not more meaningful to say instead, that I sent an image with 256
pixels per inch to the printer which upsampled the number of pixels to 720
pixels per inch (its native image resolution) in the driver, and then prints
it using up to 2880 ink dots per inch horizontally and 1440 dots per inch
vertically (its real ink-drop max resolution)?

An image 'unit' - call it what you will - is NOT the same as a printer
ink-drop, and the resolution of each is a completely different parameter.
One resolution is the number of units per inch making up my image in PS and
the resolution of the upsampled image in the printer, the other resolution
is the maximum number of ink-drops that can be accurately squirted onto
paper by the printer to represent those image units. The latter resolution
is even different in two dimensions, whereas the former is the same.

Epson prints are made up of millions of ink-drops that look like DOTS. The
only DOTS in my images are the dots of red, blue and green phosphors on my
monitor screen, and their resolution is completely different again to that
of my image!

To call them all dpi seems to me silly when we have words that already are
in common usage and which describe them properly so that there is no
misunderstanding what one is talking about. Just because some people who
don't know better, and some that should know better, misuse technical terms,
does not mean that we should all fall in and misuse them. Education is
partly about learning the correct terms for things that need to be
distinguished.

I will say no more, but will continue to try to educate others to use
terminology that distinguishes between the resolution of images, monitors,
and printers.

Bob Frost.