From: "Robert DeCandido, PhD" <rdcny@earthlink.net>
To: <anthony@atkielski.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2002 12:46
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: "Halo" Effect

Hello All,

I have a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 (not the Plus version) and am using
Vuescan.  When I scan a slide (either Kodachrome or Provia/35mm), the
white areas (such as a building illuminated by the sun; or pages of an
open book) in the scan will exhibit a "halo" effect.  This appears as
a kind of a whitish or even greenish glow surrounding the white object
in the scan.

My questions are: Is anyone else seeing this or getting this effect on
their scans?  Is this something gone wrong with the scanner?  Is it
something that different scan settings in Vuescan can correct?

Using Knockout 2.0 I can correct most if not all of the "halo" or
"after glow."  However, if someone can set me straight regarding how
to solve the problem before the scan, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Robert DeCandido
NYC