[filmscanners] RE: Scanning with too much resolution? (was: PS sharpening...)

> > As to the differences in ppi, dpi, spi, sspi, and other resolution
> > issues, Dan Margulis has posted a chapter from his book "Professional
> > Photoshop" at http://www.ledet.com/margulis/PP6_Chapter14.pdf . I found
> > it very informative.
>
> Margulis makes a claim in this chapter that struck me as totally
> counter-intuitive: sometimes a lower resolution scan will produce a better
> looking output than one made at higher resolution.
>
> According to Margulis, the higher res scan produces an image with smoother
> color variations, due to the statistical averaging in the downsampling
> process.

Hi Julian,

I believe he is specifically talking about when you downsample the image,
and the results you get from downsampling...  That, of course, if very
downsample algorithm dependant, as well as how your scanner handles scanning
at lower resolution.

This is one of those things that, in my opinion, is best to simply try out
on your system and see what works best for you.

Regards,

Austin