[filmscanners] RE: Scanner profile builder

> From: michael shaffer
>
>   What do you mean by "intall it"?

By "install", I mean right-click on it and select "Install". This lists it
in the registry somewhere, for what purpose I don't know. Actually, I think
it may also copy it to the built-in profiles folder, if it's in a different
folder.

>   I didn't know that the Nikon software allowed for conversions(?)  You
> should be able to embed the profile by copying the ICM to the
> proper Windows
> folder ... opening the image file with PS, and assigning the preferred
> profile ... subsequently "saving as" will prompt you for embedding the
> profile.

The previous poster was talking about the standalone NikonScan, which I've
never tried, but since it allows you to specify what color space you want
your file in, a conversion is taking place from the scanner's device color
space (i.e., the raw numbers from the A/D). I'm sure that this conversion is
done in the Windows ICM engine, but it's requested by the scanner software.
If it were possible to specify the scanner's device profile as the
destination, then the conversion would be a null operation.

>   I am missing your "purpose" in doing this.  Please explain ...

Well, it wasn't my idea, but the result would be a file that had the raw
numbers from the A/D. That seemed to be what the previous poster wanted.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco