From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Austin Franklin
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 5:33 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: dpi - formerly PS sharpening

> I usually leave images on my site set to the DPI of the scans,
> so they are
> always at 2700 or 4000 dpi.

Anthony,

What on earth are you talking about?  Where do you set the DPI of the scan?
Scanners scan in SAMPLES PER INCH, and create files that are PIXELS PER
INCH.  You are saving a file that is PIXELS PER INCH.  Only printers use
DOTS PER INCH, and that value is printer dependant, and is NOT directly
related to any of the information saved in the file.

In the PS "Image/Image Size" window, you simply have the option of setting
the number of inches and/or the number of PIXELS/inch, or PIXELS per cm.
The top gives the image width and height in PIXELS.  I see NO option for
"DPI" here.

When you save an image at 2700 you are saving it at 2700 PIXELS per inch, as
far as I can find, there is no option for saving your image in "DOTS" using
PS.

Austin