[filmscanners] RE: PS sharpening

Maris,

As this post came through, I am unsure which is your statement and which is
the quoted statement you are responding to; but I assume it is the second
one.  I agree entirely with it, although I typically tend to refer to
resolution in this situation as "effective resolution" rather than as
"resolution," since it is the resolution change is apparently a result of
the resizing without resampling rather than as a result of any resampling
per se.  If you take a 8x10 at 300 dpi with the resampling box unchecked and
resize it to 4x5 with the unchecked resampling box, you will get an
effective resolution of 600 dpi; whereas if you take the same 8x10 at 300
dpi with an unchecked reampling box and increase its size to 16x20 with  anu
unchecked resampling box, the effective resolution will be 150dpi.  On the
other hand, if you check the box in each instance and leave the resolution
setting at 300, the actual resolution of the resulting resized images will
remain the same at 300 dpi, although that 300 dpi will not be an optically
resolved dpi but one produced via resampling upward or downward.

The nature of the resolution has changed although the numbers may not have
in the checked resample box instances; whereas, in the unchecked sample box
instnaces the level of actual optical resolution remains the same but the
effective resolution changes due to contraction or expansion of the lineal
dimensions upon with the dots per inch are based rather than a change in the
number of dots per inch per se.

I offer this in hopes of adding some clarity to the discussion in a
linguistic fashion rather than in a substantive one.