[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] digital fiber

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] digital fiber
  • From: "HPA" <tom@historicphotoarchive.com>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 19:58:18 -0700

Art wrote

> But trying to second guess where the art buyer's fancy will
> turn next is about as sure as putting venture capital into a new dot.com.

Now that dye transfer is no longer made, and inkjets have exceeded
Ilfochrome for permanence, I expect inkjets to become the standard currency
for reproducing most color originals.  The only thing that beats them is
Permacolor and Giclee. Of course masked Ilfochrome remains the medium of
choice for fine art photographers, if a color photograph is being sold for
more than $2000 a print you would expect masked Ilfochrome and sales are
remaining strong up to $6000 per print as of the last sixty days.  Most of
the inkjet action I am seeing is in color priced at $1200 per print or less.
Black & White inkjets work if priced below fiber, but not above.  So this is
what is fueling what I think may be a new market next year, which is fiber
prints from digital originals.  Anyone with any ideas, I would love to hear
them.
It is likely that signed inkjets will ultimately be valued like vintage
photogravures.  A Stieglitz gravure will sell for about $10,000 today, a
vintage silver-gelatin print by the same photographer for about three times
that.  I think most buyers are ready to spend money on inkjets.  I am
certain that when the price hits a certain level, they go all out.  The
magic numbers change all the time.  thanks for your comments Art, and your
points are well considered.
Tom Robinson