[filmscanners] Re: IV ED dynamic range

Alex writes:

> Photoshop Levels and sometimes Curves manipulation
> reveal much more details in most cases which tells
> that that technically, the scanner is capable to
> perform better ...

The scanner _is_ performing better, since you wouldn't be able to reveal
those details in Photoshop if the scanner were not.

The problem is more likely to be in displaying them.  Monitors have a really
hard time with shadow detail in my experience.  If your intent is to display
on a monitor, you usually have to boost the deepest part of the shadows with
Curves in order to see the detail on the screen.  But the detail is already
there in the scan, even if you can't see it on the screen.

> well I very seldom use 12 bit scanning, perhaps this
> is a problem ?

Yes, it is a very big problem!  If you don't scan at the highest available
bit depth, trying to get detail out of shadows and highlights is almost a
complete waste of time, and will often give bad results even when it works.
You _must_ scan as deeply as possible if you plan to expand shadows or
highlights.