[filmscanners] Re: Web home page writing software

Paul writes:

> As long as it produces the correct results in
> a web browser, who cares?

True, but it won't.  The junk generated by web-design software contains
mountains of code, often lots of scripting as well, and if you don't change
it carefully, it will break; the results will _not_ display correctly.

It's far easier to write the HTML from scratch, and skip the web-design
software.  This is how most seasoned webmasters do it, anyway.  It's faster
and less hassle that way.

> I've seen C++ compilers generate hundred-kilobyte
> programs that I could write in a hundred bytes
> using assembly language.

HTML is not a programming language.

> Given that 100K of RAM costs two cents, and 100K
> of disk space costs a hundredth of a cent, I'll
> write in C++. And given that a 50KB page can
> load in 8 seconds via dialup and a fraction of
> a second via broadband, I'll save the much longer
> programming time and use Dreamweaver.

A lot of visitors won't wait eight seconds for the page to download; they'll
just go elsewhere.

And as I've said, HTML is _not_ programming.  The two are not comparable.