[filmscanners] Re: Next Cycle of Scanner Tech

Tony writes:

> I don't know, but I suspect we are unlikely to
> see substantially improved scanners now.

Scanners are rapidly approaching the limits of film, even in the modest
desktop scanners.  Unless film is improved to require better scanners, there
isn't much reason to improve them a great deal beyond what they provide
today.  You still cannot duplicate a drum scanner on the desktop, but you
can come awfully close, and you can come close enough to meet or exceed the
requirements of most of the scans you'll need to do.

> It has become a mature market and film use is
> likely to only decline from now, so no scanner
> mfr. is going to throw money at R&D/innovation.

Most film in the world has not yet been scanned.  And if the world is going
digital, all of that film--billions of images--will eventually have to be
scanned.  So scanners are going to be around for a long time, and in fact
they'll be around long after film is gone.  Additionally, I'm not at all
convinced that film is on its last leg quite yet.