[filmscanners] RE: Next Cycle of Scanner Tech

I have tried to avoid getting sucked into this rather silly argument and
discussion; but evidently I failed.  this debate completely ignores the fact
that nothing has to be wrong with the current series of anything for someone
to wish for and seek the new and improved version, to want to know when the
next cycle can be expected, or to want to upgrade tot he latest and greatest
just because it is the latest and greatest and not because there is anything
wrong with what currently exists.

Some want to call it progress, others will call it Capitalism and
"conspicuous consumption."  I think that it is a cultural phenomena that has
its underpinnings in American Capitalism and marketing which has now spread
around the globe.  While its pread around the globe is new, the phenomena
has been around in the US for more than a century and was commented on by
the American sociologist Thorsten Veblen many decades ago.   It has little
basis in rationality and without this attitude economic development and
growth would slow to a consistent crawl appropriate to the actual level of
needs of the worlds and would not be pumped up by hyped products and
inventions that may do as much harm as they provide benefits and which may
result in overcomplicating simple endeavors.

The answer to your question, Anthony, should have been "who cares, it is
irrelevant whether or not there is anything wrong withthe current breed of
scanners or anything else."