[filmscanners] RE: Switch from Win98SE to XP?

Mike,

I have systems that run Win XP and some that run Win98.  Unlike some, I have
had some problems with my XP system.  Some of the problems are the product
of bad and/or obscure documentation of features other than the glitzy
consumer features.  Most of my other problems have been the result of
software incompatibilies, hardware incompatibilities, and Microsoft's
propensity to design their own device drivers and ASPI layers which either
are incompatible with either older applications and devices or do not
provide the same functionalities and to build in automatic installation for
then without furnishing easy intuitive ways to disable such default
installations.

For example, I have had real problems getting a SCSI based Syquest EZ135
drive to work and a SCSI based Umax PowerLook II flatbed scanner to function
properly on a consistent basis with full MagicScan and Binuscan software
functionality.  WinXP does not support Omnipage Pro 10 OCR software or with
full untroubled functionality OmniForm 4.0 form OCR software.  It insists on
installing its ECP/P2 Epson printer driver or reinstalling it on openning of
WinXP after the user has deleted it and replaced it with an Epson OEM
driver.

The instructive documentation on how to back up one's system files and
operating system so as to be able to restore it on a new drive or new
partition is obscurely available with the backup software being provided on
the CD but not installed automatically but whose documentation being
confusing (it implies that it is to be used with Win  XP Pro but on the Home
edition at your own risk but then goes on to suggest that this software be
used to do a backup of the system files and OS for transfer to another
drive).