[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan 4000 problem

It's unlikely that the heat of the computer would cause this.  Either the
CCD itself is bad or there is dust or something in the optical path, I'd
say.

If the line is perfectly straight and covers an exact number of pixels (no
fuzziness towards adjacent pixles), it's probably the CCD.  If the line is
sort of blurred over several pixels, it may just be dust or dirt (the line
would still be straight).

The first thing to do would be to try and examine the optical path and make
sure it is spotless, although I'm not sure how easily this can be done on
the 4000 without taking it in.  I know that on the LS-2000 you can clean the
mirror in the optical path (which collects the most dust) quite easily, and
I assume the 4000 is similarly built.  However, dust on the mirror produces
haziness and flare, not a sharply defined line--the latter would have to be
right on the CCD, or very near the film surface, or at some other point of
focus in the path.

If it's not dust and dirt, and it really is the CCD, the repair may be very
expensive, as the CCD is a very expensive component.