[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan 4000 'v' Flextight P2

David wrote:

> I'm borrowing a Nikon Coolscan 4000 for a few days,
[snip]
> So.... I would be very grateful if any of you would give
> me any advice as to the do's and don'ts with the Coolscan.

Just a couple of small things, off the top of my head:

1) Digital ICE is amazing. There are two settings for ICE in the NikonScan
software - normal and fine. I find that "fine" softens the image quite a bit
whereas "normal" is excellent, so perhaps try "normal" as a starting point.
Don't bother with ROC unless you've got some seriously faded negs, but give
GEM a try. It reduces grain substantially without softening too much, and
the resulting images respond excellently to a bit of Unsharp Mask.

2) If you have any badly curved negs, try using the supplied FH-3 strip film
holder rather than the SA-21 automatic feeder. The FH-3 holds them flatter.

3) In my experience, and to my eyes, multi-scanning makes no difference to
the noise levels in any density of shadows. Perhaps move multi-scanning down
your priorites of things to test.

4) The LS-4000 can be (audibly) quite noisy whilst scanning, certainly much
louder than other filmscanners I've owned, so don't worry about it. It took
me aback at first.

Not much, but I hope that's useful.

Graham
--