From: "James Gaa" <jamesgaa@telusplanet.net>
To: <shunith@vsnl.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:21 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Win 2k? problems

My IBM PC, running windows 2000 has been acting up. After I installed
several pieces of software, the computer won't go into hibernate mode, and
worse, the cd writer (HP 9500) won't work. It seems as if one of the
scanning programs is messing with windows.

Can someone tell me what the problem might be, and what to do about it? If
it can't be fixed without reimaging, I don't know what to do since
re-imaging again isn't an option -- it was too much of a pain the last time.

The machine has been re-imaged, and worked fine. But when I re-installed
some of my photo software, the same problem recurred.

The software is:
    nikonscan 3.0
    vuescan
    vueprint
    photoshop 5.5, and also 7

The hardware:
    HP flatbed scanner
    Nikon Coolscan IV
    Epson 1200 printer

The CD writer is "running" on HP CD-writer. When I try to burn some files,
it tells me that it can't initialize the printer. Before that, when I
re-installed the HP software, it told me that it couldn't locate an HP
CDROM, even though it's there physically, and worked properly after the
machine was re-imaged and before I re-installed the other software.

I have some other software, but the problem occurred before I had a chance
to re-install them.

I didn't have this problem on my older machine, running windows 98, without
the flatbed scanner or the Nikon scanner and software (I had a different
scanner then).

Thanks.
Jim Gaa

or body